Director of Development
Organization Description: DC Appleseed is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to solving public policy problems facing the District of Columbia. DC Appleseed works with broad coalitions of community leaders, government officials, attorneys, expert consultants, and others, to analyze and develop measured, well-researched practical solutions to complex, multi-faceted problems facing our community. Our mission is to improve the lives of all who live and work in the D.C. area and to address racial, economic, educational, and social inequities.
Depending on the problem being addressed, DC Appleseed’s projects involve conducting research, collaborating with diverse groups, issuing reports, and advocating to governmental decision-makers, as well as bringing or supporting litigation. DC Appleseed has a full-time staff of seven, and a 34-member board. Applicants are encouraged to visit www.dcappleseed.org to read more about DC Appleseed’s current projects.
Director of Development Job Summary:
The Director of Development is responsible for creating and implementing the organization’s fundraising strategy. The Director of Development will work closely with the Executive Director, other staff, and the Board of Directors to identify, cultivate, and solicit donors to meet the organization’s fundraising goals. The majority of DC Appleseed’s funding comes from local foundations, so experience with foundations, particularly local foundations, is a plus. And since a significant portion of our funding is raised at our annual gala, event planning experience is also essential. The Director of Development will report to the Executive Director.
- Foundation fundraising:
- Writing proposals, letters of inquiry, and reports to DC Appleseed’s 20 foundation supporters;
- Working with DC Appleseed’s accountant to ensure proper financial reporting:
- Collaborating with program staff to develop foundation materials; and
- Identifying and cultivating potential new foundation supporters.
- Annual Event fundraising:
- Organizing fundraising event that is held in the Fall;
- Writing direct appeal letters and developing mailings in support of event;
- Playing major role in developing the program and identifying speakers and honorees; and
- Overseeing logistics to ensure the event runs smoothly.
- Individual Donor Fundraising
- Write email blasts and annual appeals to individual donors;
- Lead the Development Committee of the Board to maximize board participation;
- Ensure proper recognition and acknowledgement of all donors;
- Develop new ways to reach donors, including through social media; and
- Solicit support from Board members, including through planned giving.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in development
- Significant experience in writing foundation proposals and reports
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail and ability to meet multiple deadlines
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic equity issues
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide-range of people, including staff and board
- Dedication to and passion for the mission of DC Appleseed
- Familiarity with Salesforce data management a plus
- Interest and ability in pursuing multiple fundraising strategies
- Understanding of how to communicate effectively the impact of policy advocacy
- Experience planning events for 200-300 people.
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits. Benefits include health insurance options; dental and vision coverage; disability insurance; automatic employer retirement contribution; pre-tax commuter benefit; paid time off for vacation, personal leave, sick leave, family/medical leave, and holidays.
Target Start Date: Immediate. Position Open until Filled.
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.